Rachel is an educator and interdisciplinary media artist. She currently works for Mouse, a youth development nonprofit that believes in technology as a force for good, and is a member of The Illuminator, a political projection collective based in NYC. Rachel is also an avid cyclist, yogi and wanderer. Presently, she is pursuing an MFA in Integrated Media Arts at Hunter College (CUNY).
Mar 2017 - Feb 2017
Presented paper "The Political Power of the Insider Collective Voice: Through the Revolutions of The Battle of Chile and Tongues Untied"
Feb 2017 - Feb 2017
Superorganism (00:11:30 interactive dual channel installation)
Dec 2016 - Dec 2016
Unsolicited (interactive installation), collaboration with Noa Ginzburg
Nov 2016 - Nov 2016
YES I RODE HERE (00:10:00 short documentary film), November 14-20, 2016
Jun 2016 - Jun 2016
Presented paper "The Power of Tactical Media Collectives"
Mar 2016 - Mar 2016
YES I RODE HERE (00:10:00 short documentary film), March 3-6, 2016
Jun 2015 - Jun 2015
YES I RODE HERE (00:10:00 short documentary film), June 24-28, 2015
Jun 2013 - Jun 2013
negative space > positive space (00:06:00 short documentary film), June 13, 2013
Jun 2011 - Jun 2011
My Commuted Commute (00:05:00 short documentary film), June 22-26, 2011
Oct 2010 - Present
• Create and deliver school-based technical support activities to elementary, middle and high school-aged students, helping them to build leadership, communication, technical and creative skills
• Design, develop, pilot and lead workshops in leadership, team-building, HTML, networking, troubleshooting, hardware, electronics/robotics, serious games, green technology, 3D design & printing
• Shoot and edit short videos for the website to support the Mouse Squad curriculum and programs
• Led the training and mentoring of Mouse Corps and Brooklyn College Arts Lab apprentices during the GadgITERATION Summer Camp 2014 program
Apr 2014 - Present
• As a collective member, support the realization of public light projections meant to shine a light on
urgent social and political issues of our time.
• Collaborate on administration, creative content production, documentation via photography and video,
projector & generator operation, mapping projections, driving the van and updating social media.
• Present the collective's work and and teach our tactical media processes at various conferences and workshops.
Aug 2015 - May 2016
• Facilitated "Film in a Digital Age" lab courses, in which students created audio and video projects, and edited in Premiere Pro CC.
Oct 2015 - May 2016
• Shared and discussed members' projects ranging from academic papers to films.
Apr 2014 - Aug 2014
• Developed and facilitated video production classes at Passages Academy Bronx Hope, a school within the juvenile justice system serving both detention and placement students.
• Designed and led a FCP editing workshop for the GOALS for Girls Summer Intensive at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
Feb 2013 - Jan 2014
• Developed and facilitated video production classes
• Edited a promotional video from student footage for donor development and student recruitment
Feb 2013 - Jun 2013
• Designed and facilitated two documentary video production classes and an after school video club at the Rockaway Park High School for Environmental Sustainability
• Edited a 30-minute short film on climate change and promotional video from student footage
May 2011 - Jul 2012
• Discussed and reviewed music including the Holograms, Sigur Rós, Young Widows and Zola Jesus.
Sep 2010 - Jun 2012
• Facilitated 1 to 2 documentary video production classes each semester as a means to develop the artistic, critical literacy and career skills of at-risk high school students
• Guided students from pre-production through final edits of their self-selected social issue documentaries
Aug 2014 - Present
MFA in Integrated Media Arts, expected graduation 2017.
Aug 1999 - May 2003
Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude
Double Major in Film (GPA 3.88) and Political Science (GPA 3.925)
Academic Exchange at the Universidad de Puerto Rico, Recinto de Río Piedras 1/01-5/01
Katherine E. Duffy Award for academic excellence in the study of political science 5/03
Phi Beta Kappa inducted 3/02